How to make a complaint

Tuku amuamu mai

Last updated 31 October 2016
Last updated 10/31/2016

One of the main functions of the Tertiary Education Commission (the TEC) is to monitor tertiary education organisations (TEOs) to ensure they are delivering programmes in line with their funding agreements with us.

We want to hear from you if:

  • you think that a TEO is not delivering a programme appropriately 
  • you think you are not receiving the appropriate amount of teaching hours through your course or study 
  • you have concerns about a TEO’s performance against its commitments or performance standards and compliance against the TEC's funding conditions. 

For us to look into your complaint, we’ll need the following information from you:

  • what your complaint is about – please provide specific complaint details, for example, the name of the TEO, who is involved, what you are specifically concerned about 
  • whether you have raised this complaint previously 
  • your name and contact details 
  • your email address 
  • your telephone number (day) 
  • your full postal address.

Making a complaint

Call us on our complaints helpline to talk through your concern on 0800 601 302 or email us directly:


We welcome information from confidential informants and have a policy of protecting people's identity when requested. If you feel that informing the TEC about possible wrongdoing might put your position at risk (for example, you may be a student or an employee of the person or organisation you want to report) please note the following:

  • Personal information relating to complaints will be treated as confidential information. We will consult with you if any person seeks access to identifying personal information about your complaint. 
  • If you are an employee (including former employee) of an organisation that the TEC funds, your complaint may be a protected disclosure under the Protected Disclosures Act. The purpose of this Act is to encourage people to report serious wrongdoing in their workplace by providing protection for employees who consider they need to “blow the whistle”. This applies to public and private sector workplaces.

You might need to raise your complaint with a different agency

If your concern relates to: 

A complaint or issue with a teacher/lecturer, facilities at your tertiary education organisation (TEO) or student policies and practices

Contact your TEO to discuss your concerns 

Your student loan, student allowance or student loan repayments.

If you’re unsure, call us to talk through your concerns:
0800 601 302  


The delivery or quality of your course or study

New Zealand Qualifications Authority


Human Rights Commission

Someone’s safety being at risk

WorkSafe New Zealand

New Zealand Police

How information about you has been stored or used

Privacy Commissioner

If you’re an international student and have a concern

New Zealand Qualifications Authority

If you’re unsure, call our complaints helpline to talk through your concerns: 0800 601 302.  

What happens next?

Our Sector Helpdesk staff will consider the nature of your complaint, the information you provide and advise you on the next steps.